Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Redfishing During the Coldest of Cold Fronts

Don't miss the video link at the Bottom!!!

It was early January and Louisiana was hit with an arctic blast that settled for a couple days over the area.  When these fronts come in and drop water levels and temperatures to dramatic lows, the fish really pile up in deep holes throughout the marsh and main channels. 

Weather was in the low 40s, barometric pressure was at 30.31 and dropping, wind was around 15-20, but supposed to be 10-12, water was crystal clear despite the white caps all around me and the water was LOW, like 3-4 ft low and the water was moving everywhere from wind and current. Everything was caught on a jig head with matrix shad in tiger bait and also on a Berkley Power Bait Swimming Mullet in Tiger Bait.




I was able to find a cut that ranged from 3-9 foot, the water was racing through it and I could reach 4 different points from where I was set up. The redfish were in a frenzy, at times I could see more than 30 reds on top, I would estimate there were probably 100-300 reds between the 4 points, the water was boiling nonstop as the bait was being blown through.



 I landed somewhere between 75-100 redfish in around a 2.5 hour time frame. It was every cast, I even started cane poling off the nose of my yak and landing them one after another.




  I didn't catch one rat red, they all ranged from 18 inches to 32 inches, most around 22 inches. Amazing day, and I wish I had my GoPros with me, I did manage a short phone video.

Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLwJaPJNBrk







No comments:

Post a Comment