Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Getting Back to My Roots---Bass Fishing

 
 

This week I had to take a trip to Nashville, Tn, for work.  As I arrived in Nashville, I did something I rarely do, I checked in on Facebook.  Why I did it, I will never know, but rest assured there will be many more check ins in my future.  Within minutes, my phone started blowing up, and one of the messages was from Craig Dye.  Craig is a native Cajun from Louisiana, we met two years ago in the Everglades while fishing the AFWC, Craig finished 2nd there and we have stayed in touch ever since.  I even put Craig on reds when he makes his way back south to La, from his current residence in the Nashville area.
Craig asked if I would have any free time to come fish a tournament within minutes of where I was staying, I quickly replied that if he could round up the equipment in time, I was in.  Well the next day, Craig picked me up from my hotel, brought me to Bass Pro so I could get some flip flops and clothes, all I had with me was business attire, and we were off. 
When we reached the launch location, I was in awe, I had never fished a lake like this, the scenery was breath taking, the water was clear, and it was surrounded by giant slabs of rock and cliffs that ranged 80 feet high and the water ranged from 0-55 feet in depth.  Craig informed me that Chad Hoover with Hook1 was having a yak delivered to the launch for me to use.  I was a little nervous at first being I only fish out of Hobies, but when it arrived, I began smiling.  Chad had not only had a Hobie delivered, but in true Hoover Nashville fashion, had a Hobie PA 14 owned by country singer Easton Corbin delivered. 
As anglers showed up and rules were given, we hit the water.  No depth finder, no map, no clue where I was, and borrowed equipment from 5 different people, but I was on my way.  Every 5 minutes, I would yell out to Craig, how deep is it, what's around the bend, where is the ledge, what's the water temp, I bombarded him with all the questions I would usually have answered had I been at home.  When we reached our point, there was someone already fishing it, I kept my distance and Craig kept his, and on my third cast, I landed my first largemouth of the day and was on the board.  The jig & craw hit its mark, he wasn't big, but from what I was told, he was good enough to place if I landed another one. 
Over the next three hours, it was clear that the jig was the way to go. I threw topwater, crank baits, and spinners, but the Jig is all that would produce. I was able to land 6 more fish during the tournament, and based on conversations with other anglers, I was sitting pretty for a good finish, as others weren't catching much of anything, or at least they weren't telling the new guy if they were. 
As we made our way around the last bend headed back to weigh in, we came across 8-10 anglers that were all headed in.  As they paddled their yaks forward, I sat back for a minute in hopes for one more cast at a spot that was calling my name.  As the herd of anglers made it about 40 yards ahead of me, I yelled out, got another, and thankfully that fish surpassed the 18'' mark, and at that point I knew I was taking the win home to La.

As I walked up to the scales, I had a big grin on my face, thinking I just won this tournament in the last 12 minutes of play, what a story.  Well, as in true fashion, fellow Alabama deep see fishing rodeo, and IFA cohort, Scott Harper(who I actually invited to fish) walks up with a grin on his face.  I knew this couldn't be good.  When I asked him how he had done, he said he caught the same amount of fish as me, and then finished that statement with "I caught a 19'' Smallmouth."  My
Scott Harper's Smallmouth Beast
smile dropped, did I really just get beat by a smallmouth, how does a smallmouth beat a largemouth,?  I was dumbfounded to say the least, but then it hit me, two out of towners, with zero knowledge of the waters, may go home with first and second place, now that's a cool story.  Realistically, I was just excited to fish for bass again, it has been over 13 years since I have targeted or fished a bass tournament, and it felt good to get back to what I used to know, and even better to know that I still had a little knowledge, luck, and gusto to make it happen in the world of green trout.
Well as the cash was handed out, Scott and I both walked out happy, Scott left with around 300 bucks, and I left with enough to cover the clothes I had just purchased hours earlier in order to not have to fish in a business suit, and it was worth every penny.
If you ever get the chance to get on the water around the Nashville area, make sure to check out the crew at Kayak Bass Fishing TN, and Tennessee Kayak Anglers.  They are all first rate anglers and first class individuals, I borrowed rods from strangers, while others walked up with tackle boxes offering up whatever lures I chose to fish with.  It was a true display of southern hospitality and I am grateful for the opportunity to have fished with each and every one of them. 
Special thanks to Craig Dye for making this day possible, Chad Hoover for the yak, Ron Champion for the lures, Jeremy and Sarah Meiers, Geoff Luckett, Mike Mclean, and anyone else that helped make this day memorable.  Dinner was great following the event, and yes, I bought for Craig, but the stories and company were even better.  Thanks for a great trip Tennessee.

Until Next Time,

Stay Safe and Catch1

No comments:

Post a Comment